What Rough Beast/ RazorBlade Candy

I YAM

Albany, GA, United States
Lazy Revolutionary in permanent state of rebellion Loving Father Good boyfriend lousy Husband. AKA: Gino; Moe; Finesse; Father Time; Creeper: Sweet Ho; Unk; G; Red and You Black Muthafucka- xCon xDruggie xRobber xTeacher xpreacher xsheep xchristian xmuslim xsucker currently not quite running from but consciously avoiding the killers er i mean police. Diehard Union Supporter. Past Member of Boosters Union#704 and BankRobbers Union #919-Retired from both. No Benefits.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lousy Black Poetry/ My Poetry Month

As we approach the official celebration of MLKs birthday (Must you government employees use EVERY excuse for a 3 day weekend? Hell you're a week late!) It occurs to me that I should say something about the state of Black Poetry that I've seen lately. Shit Sucks. That's pretty much it, but at the risk of beating a dead horse, I'll just say that much of it sounds derivative.
Scene: Somebody's mommas basement
"Ohhh shnappp, that shit sound like Saul Williams, Black! Lemme hear it again.!"

Aaight G, "I stand on the corner of the block slinging kryptonite rocks". Pay me nigga!

Saul aint even on that shit no more. He did what I do, He snatched it out the Ethers and put it out. That's what Poetry and all good writing or sensual communication is, rising through the Ether Plane and bringing back prizes to share with the tribe. Imitating Saul from 5 years ago is like tearing a picture of Romare Beardens work from a magazine and coloring over the greens with blue crayon. And calling it yours.

So with this in mind I declare January (The month of Janus, Roman God of Doorways and Halls and... Janitors. I shit you NOT) National er regional er Personal bring back good poetry month. I recommend Etheridge Knights Hardrock Returns and when you're little sister sleeps around for money and Watching you to start. Also Don L Lee (not that Haki Madhupuwhatever) , Queen G Brooks Sonia Sanchez Amiri Baraka/Leroi Jones (either name, but Leroi is easier to understand) and whoever else floats you're boat. Good Poetry is like Cheesecake or Pecan Pie, You don't want it every day but when you get some you always want more.

I was gonna publish my personal stuff, a daily dose of me, right?, But I can't seem to find the current owner of the hard drive I was using while I had that goodass job in Chapel Hill that I got fired from because of racism- well Okay, I stole some money but it was green and I was black and you know how white folks in blue heaven get when you get between them and their green... Heyyyy,,,,,,,,there's a poem in there somewhere!

Anyway, I'll try to bring some Ethermail as soon as I get back from the next trip. Peace and love-Power to the People

No comments: